Mar Elias Refugee Camp, Lebanon
Published: March 21, 2016 | The Camps
Around 662 registered refugees
1 health centre
Majority aged between 41-60
- Located southwest of Beirut, it is the smallest camp in Lebanon.
- Founded in 1952 by the Mar Elias Greek Orthodox convent to house refugees from Galilee.
- Most of the men work as casual labourers or for small businesses, such as grocery stores or car mechanic workshops. Some women work in sewing factories or as cleaners.
- High incidence of chronic disease, with many refugees suffering from hypertension, cancer and diabetes.
- High unemployment.
- High usage of social safety-net.
- Infrastructure needs comprehensive rehabilitation.
Calculate your Zakat
Confused about how to calculate your Zakat? Try our simple-to-use calculator